May, 23, 2013
Keeping your personal training schedule full requires an entrepreneurial mentality. It requires leadership from the personal training director and a reason for a personal trainer to take full ownership of their schedule. Personal training directors and personal training studio owners often struggle with how to educate and encourage their staff to continually ask for referrals and prospect for business, but don’t worry!
I have some tips for you and your staff that will help keep schedules full and business thriving!
Here are the keys to keeping your personal training schedule full and rounding up referrals:
May, 15, 2013
Should You Be Writing a Blog?
I have been writing blogs for our clients and for Fitness Professionals for quite some time now and I find it to be well worth the work. Many Fitness Professionals ask us if they should start writing a blog and the quick answer is YES, but….you have to be committed to it and you have to know what your goals are when writing the blog!
We used to have a pretty simple blog, but in January of of 2011 I decided to upgrade the look, feel and functionality of our blog (which is what you see today).
We did hire an outside company to design both of our blogs, but that isn’t necessary. You can get great templates with blogging services like WordPress and Blogger and with most of these services there is a free blogging option.
I want tell you a bit about why we upgraded our blog, why we think it is important to write blogs and some tips we have picked up along the way!
Here is why we upgraded the blogs:
- We wanted them to have a customized feel
- We wanted to have an “optin” option (learn more about optin/email captures in this blog post) - This is where folks can sign up to receive something for free and in-turn they are signed up to receive my weekly eNewsletters and Blogs posts.
- We wanted to be able to feature specific products during a blog post and have the products available to purchase right there on the blog.
- We wanted to make it easier for our readers to find past blog posts
- We wanted to make it easier
May, 10, 2013
As fitness professionals we know that word of mouth referrals are going to be the source of most of our new clients. I am sure many of you have even read about different ways to verbally ask for referrals, but verbally asking for a referral is only 1 way to get referrals. There are lots of ways to ask for referrals and you should be doing them all! It is a numbers game. The more ways you ask for referrals the more likely you are to see those primed potential new clients walking through your doors!
Here are a couple creative ways we ask for and encourage referrals:
High Profile Referral Funnels:
If there are people in your community who know a lot of people, have charismatic personalities and would be great ambassadors for your business, consider offering them free
May, 2, 2013
I talk to lots of fitness professionals that know they need to gather email leads on their websites, facebook pages and blogs, but just don’t know where to start. There is A LOT of information out there on this topic and it can be overwhelming….but gathering qualified email addresses online should be an interracial part of your marketing plan. The good news? It isn’t as hard as you might think!
3 different ways we gather email leads online:
- Check out our website and you will see that we have an “opt-in” box at the top of the page. We offer to give away Free Personal Training and Free access to a portion of Sherri’s book.
- Go ahead and click the “sign me up” button and enter your info to see how it works.
Apr, 25, 2013
One of the biggest struggles fitness businesses have is getting and keeping good personal trainers. Here are some of the most popular questions I answer on this topic. Remember, having solid systems in place that support your staff can make all the difference in the world!
How do I get and keep good personal trainers?
Keeping your trainers – you’ve got to have all pieces to the puzzle in place and include a fair compensation structure with some good perks, lots of genuine praise and recognition, responsibility and authority, gifts, team meetings, outings/get-togethers and a buy-in to your vision and what you’re trying to create….sometimes it’s easier to create this with new blood so even if you’ve lost some people, don’t stress out about it. They’ve left for a reason and your business will be better because of it.
How you prevent trainers from resenting the amount of money the gym makes on their services?
One of the best ways to help a team
Posted in Human Resources
Apr, 18, 2013
There are ways to get free advertising, but you will have to work for it.
Are you willing to do that?
The truth is that most fitness businesses don’t have money to take out ads in magazines or newspapers or create a commercial for the radio or television. But, there are ways to get free advertising if you are willing to work for it!
We are willing to put in the work and here are a few ways we make free advertising happen:
- Develop a list of key local media contacts in your area including print, radio and TV
- Complete regular mail-outs, emails and fax-outs to develop relationships. Tease them with some health and fitness information. For example, state “I was just at IDEA, The International Health and Fitness Conference in Las Vegas and I learned some of the most incredible exercises for the abdominals. It’s stuff you’ve never seen before. Call me if you’d like to hear more about it” or “I was just at the IHRSA show in San Francisco and I’ve got to tell you about some of the hottest and craziest equipment new on the market” or offer a human interest story about one of your clients and their success- with their approval of course. Just wet their taste buds and you can expect at least one or two call backs from each of your efforts. Of course each time they run your idea, you are mentioned as the Health and Fitness expert and you can also ask for your business and your number/website to be listed so people can contact you if they have further questions.
- Offer to write a free weekly/monthly fitness column. The time spent writing the article will be
Apr, 11, 2013
Building a solid foundation for your fitness business is one of the crucial steps to ensuring your success!
Last week I reviewed the big picture attributes and commitments you need in order to run a successful fitness business.
The next step is ensuring that you have a strong enough foundation to sustain all of the business you wish to create!
If you haven’t taken the time to sit down and hash out these 5 things for your business…now is the time.
- Do a SWOT Analysis:
- What are your STRENGTHS, what are your WEAKNESSES, what are your OPPORTUNITIES, what are your TREATS and what are your goals.
- Have this in writing and build off of it!
- Decide what YOUR Values are?
- Write them all out and be specific!
- Here are some examples from our Values document:
- Customer Service:
- We only hire the best Personal Trainers, Group Fitness Instructors, Fitness Professionals, Customer Service Reps and Administrative staff who grasp the importance of customer service.
- Our business model focuses on always remembering that the Client is the Boss
- Cutting-Edge Programming
- Northwest Personal Training and Fitness Education is committed to offering an extensive, cutting-edge Personal Training and Group Fitness program including one-on-one training, small group and large group training, outdoor adventures and educational lectures.
- What is your Mission, Vision & Motto?
- Take time to write all of these out!
- Here are our Mission, Vision & Motto:
- Mission Statement: We are passionately committed to changing people’s lives around the world more healthy and fit lifestyle so by helping them adopt a they look and feel their best
- Vision: A healthier world…One person at a time.
- Motto: Looking Good, Feeling Great & Living Life to the Fullest!
- Know Your Client Demographics:
- Who are your clients? Where do they like to shop? What is their income?
- Paint a clear picture of who your client is
Like this type of guidance and want more? Good news! I recorded 10 hours of DVD quality video where I walk you through what you really need to know about opening or running a personal training business.
- How to and when to open a Personal Training Studio
- Important information about financing a Personal Training Studio
- Developing Leadership Skills
- Creating and maintaining Marketing Plans
- Ready to use Sales Systems
- How we Retain Clients
- Building an exceptional Customer Service team
- The value of multiple Profit Centers
- All the handouts to go along with the video!
AND…throughout the month of April you can get an automatic 25% off his DVD Series! That is almost $100 off!
AND…if you love the DVD Series so much that you want to purchase the full Business of Personal Training System….we will put the full price of the DVD Series toward your purchase of the Business of Personal Training System.
Go HERE for more info and to purchase. Have questions before purchasing? Email email@example.com
Hey did you know that I wrote the ONLY complete training business system designed to help you run a million dollar personal training business?! You can have this same business system that will help you work SMARTER and generate HUGE profits like we do here at Northwest Personal Training.
The fee to purchase the Business of Personal Training System can be made up within 1 month of increased PT sales and there are NO recurring franchise or licensing fees.
A comparable business system in other industries would require an initial investment of tens of thousands of dollars.
DON’T REINVENT THE WHEEL! Let us give YOU the systems that we know will work.
Also, sign up right here on my blog to receive my FREE 20 min streaming video where I reveal my top 5 revenue generating secrets. This video WILL help you bring in more clients and more revenue. Don’t miss it!
Apr, 4, 2013
What YOU NEED to run a successful PT Business….
I have written on numerous topics in this blog related to running a highly successful and profitable personal training business, and today I want to help you take a step back review the big picture and what needs to be in place to run a successful PT Business. Whether you are just starting out or if you have been at it for years, these are the….
……Simple yet important aspects you MUST have to be successful and profitable!
- Have the belief that there is a potential to be extremely successful and profitable in the Personal Training industry and YOU can do it!
- Vision and imagination – as a leader you are able see more than what others can see and see the potential that others may not see!
- Have goals established for your business – be as detailed as possible so
Mar, 28, 2013
Weight Loss Challenge – Get Commitment. Get Results.
I received tons of great questions about last week’s blog post on how we run our Spring Makeover Challenge.
2 of the most asked questions where:
How do you get commitment from clients and ensure that they will see results during the 6 week Challenge
What are the different ways that participants can sign up?
The best way to ensure that your weight loss change participants see the results they expect is to clearly state what you expect them to do during the 6 weeks of the challenge and then have them commit to these expectations by signing at the bottom of the list of expectations.
Here is a list of what we ask our weight loss challenge participants to commit to:
Mar, 20, 2013
Our Spring Makeover Challenge is our most successful program of the year!
Are you going to try a weight loss challenge this Spring?
We are getting ready to launch our Spring Makeover Challenge and it generates $15,000 to $20,000 in extra revenue for us each year. If you are thinking about doing some type of weight loss challenge this Spring…now is the time to get everything in order and I am going to help!
Here’s some details from our program:
People register in advance for a variety of different program options based on their needs.
For example, some people just